Friday, April 30, 2010

UA- part 2 Kampala

Kampala is everything Kigali is not: big, loud, varied, and dirty. There are chain restaurants, Nandos. And reasonably priced bookstores. There is an almost current movie theater. There is so much food!

So upon arrival we cleaned up and went out to eat Chinese. It was quite possibly the best Chinese I have ever had. Then Jess and I, unable to resist temptation, went to a movie. Which was not as good, but still an experience.

To get to the movie from chinese food we took a boda-boda, which is a moto. But in Uganda you can have 2 passengers! Slows it down.

So Friday we enjoyed an Americanized day. Fast food lunch at nandos. Another movie, this time with Kerry and Theo. And then time wandering around the bookstore. Dinner Friday was at a delicious grill where I was able to have schnitzel, and it was pretty good schnitzel. Then we went to a club called Iguana. Mostly travelers, but definitely fun.

Saturday we left Kampala for the day. Jess and I had heard that the Speke Resort had stables and for under $30 you could ride for an hour around Lake Victoria. Theo had never ridden before but Kerry an Jess both had experience.

When we went to the stables to ride, they asked about how much we had ridden. So they were nervous about us ridding but I managed to convince everyone it would be fine.

When they lined up the horses, I was in the back. And they gave me a fiesty horse- Merhdad. Merhdad would kick, so I had to stay behind. Also so we didn't lose any straggelers. Well we didn't really ride along the lake, we mostly rode through little towns.

I have rarely felt so priviliged. But people were friendly when we waved and said hello. I really enjoyed it. I think my horse and I would have enjoyed ourselves more if we could have gone faster, but I did manage to keep him in control.

The rest of the day was spent by an olympic size pool. Since it was off season, it was quiet but very nice. An interesting glimpse into how the other half lives- ok so 2% lives...


1 comment:

  1. do you have the contact info for speke? and where did you stay by an olympic-sized swimming pool? (i am in kampala next weekend and will be looking for some things to do!)
    also, i went to iguana when i was there around easter and it was mostly local rastas with a decent amount of muzungus. wasn't the best place i've ever been, but definitely far from the worst. haha.

    ReplyDelete

My effort to keep friends updated

on my adventures...
and probably a few misadventures....